Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Wire Spool Outdoor Coffee Table (Under Construction)

Wire Spool Outdoor Coffee Table (Under Construction)

A friend and fellow-gardener kindly gifted me this small wire spool. It is currently a project in the works. It is the perfect size for an outdoor coffee table. As with most wire spools, it has a center hole, slats and other holes for other uses. I want to protect it with poly or something. I want the top to be a thick "poured" coat. I started the project by filling the holes with homemade bungs I whittled them to fit and then glued the sides and tapped them in tight. I then sanded them down to level. At this point, I broke out the torch and did a lite burn on the entire spool. Then a sanding to remove any char. The burning technique in Japan is known as Shou Sugi Ban which my son used to build an off grid property in Tres Piedres, New Mexico, near the Taos art disrict. The technique is used for weatherproofing wood as well as providing a beautiful ornamental finish. The project will continue after i use painters tape to tape the underside and sides of what will be the table top. Taping will be used to capture the poly when i pour it on the top. This will prevent it from leaking from the wood slat openings. Instead of a two-part epoxy, I am experimenting with a non-mix poly. The project is to be continued from here.